Taliban militants in Pakistan killed 9 foreign tourists and one local guide preparing to climb in the Himalayas over the weekend. The dead included one Chinese-American, one Nepali, one Lithuanian, two Chinese, two Slovakians and three Ukranians.
Authorities say the gunman forced two climbing guides to take them to the base camp at Nanga Parbat. They opened fire on the tourists early Sunday morning.
"The attackers abducted two local guides and demanded they take them to where some foreigners are staying to carry out the attack. One (guide) was then killed, another escaped and has been detained by police for questioning," Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said.
Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan later claimed responsibility in the attack. He told AFP news that the attack was meant to “avenge the killing of Maulvi Wali ur-Rehman” in a US drone attack last month. Maulvi Wali ur-Rehman was the second in command of the Tehreek-e-Taliban.
“One of our factions, Junood ul-Hifsa, did it. It is to avenge the killing of Maulvi Wali ur-Rehman,” Ehsan said. “We want to convey to the world that this is our reply to US drone attacks.”
Click here for more World News