Terrorists lead a daring attack on Chechnya’s Parliament early Tuesday morning. Police in Russia’s Chechnya have confirmed that all of the terrorists involved in the attack have been killed, according to an official from the Interior Ministry.
Roman Edilov, the deputy head of the Interior Ministry said that four terrorists were killed as well as two police officers during the attack and subsequent police operation, but dismissed reports that had been circulation that the terrorists had taken hostages.
A police source has said that the militants came in with a vehicle that seemed in convoy with cars which also carried lawmakers. A suicide bomber blew himself up, while the other militants headed for the parliament.
The parliament was subsequently evacuated, and the Chechen leader, Ramzan Kadyrov headed the special operation which was immediately launched to flush out the remaining group of terrorists.
Russian news agencies reported that a separate group had also attacked the Agricultural Ministry, but all of the militants are now believed to be dead.
This incident is the second serious terrorist attach in Chechnya recently, with a massive attack launched on Kadyrov’s home village of Tsentroi in August.
Russia has fought two bloody wars with Chechen separatists in the 1990s but the country has enjoyed relative calm since a government loyal to the Kremlin was installed in 2000.
Islamic insurgents in the area have tended to stay in the areas of Dagestan and Ingushetia, with this attack being the most brazen seen in years.